WordSpring is a comprehensive word list resource for teachers, tutors, reading specialists, and educational therapists. It is compatible with all methodologies and curricula. WordSpring supports the inclusion of phonics into literacy programs for students at all levels.
WordSpring is a wonderful aid for teachers of phonics and word study. The ability to quickly create word lists quickly with simple to advanced letter patterns and word parts is essential. WordSpring is the best tool for this.
Joan Sedita, Lead Trainer, Massachusetts Reading First Program
As soon as the teachers saw WordSpring, I started receiving notes and emails saying, "We need this, we need this, we need this."
Carol Clark, Executive Director, The Prentice School, Santa Ana, CA
WordSpring is for teachers who want an EASY to operate, methodology free resource to support the inclusion of phonics into their literacy programs. WordSpring offers comprehensive word lists organized into 26 categories for teaching decoding, spelling, fluency, and vocabulary. The categories begin with one-syllable short words in a closed syllable and expand in complexity to include multi-syllable words requiring syllabification and hints for accenting. The comprehensiveness of the lists make them useful for students of all ages and skill levels.
- 650 word lists organized in 26 categories illustrate all the important phonics concepts needed for spelling, decoding, fluency training, and vocabulary development
- Word lists now include over 90 Latin roots, 100 Greek combininb forms, 80 prefixes, and 100 suffixes and endings
- 18,000 dictionary words and 6,000 nonsense words
- Diacritical pronunciation for every word
- Teaching tips and explanatory notes with examples, definitions, and key words
- A phonics-based scope and sequence: 1-syllable c-v-c words through to multi-syllabic Greek combining forms
- A variety of formats for printed lists or labels including options for print size
[e.g. list, list , list ], number of columns, and horizontal or vertical word sequencing.
- Find pronunciations compatible with Orton-Gillingham-based approaches for all 18,000 words and 6,000 nonsense words.
WordSpring enables you to:
- Quickly create, arrange, and modify lists with just a few simple key strokes
- Select words with common characteristics, such as di/trigraphs, phonograms, affixes, Latin roots, number of syllables, homonyms, and confusable word pairs
- Pick words with several pronunciations, e.g. words with ea pronounced as short e, long e, or long a
- Illustrate over two dozen spelling rules and generalizations, such
- the double f, l, s, z generalization
- the extended 1-1-1 rule
- Choose words to demonstrate the four syllabification rules with the corresponding syllable patterns
- Arrange lists in random, consonant-vowel-consonant (c-v-c), number of syllables, and alphabetic order
- Individualize lists to meet students' specific needs
- Customize lists, build on previous lists, and share lists with other teachers via e-mail, network, or disk
- Find pronunciations compatible with Orton-Gillingham-based approaches for all 18,000 words and 6,000 nonsense words
- Expand teaching knowledge with explanatory notes, teaching tips, definitions, and examples provided with each category
- Print lists in many formats, customized to meet special requirements, including large print decoding and spelling work sheets and student stick-on labels with pronunciations, if desired, and with words sequenced horizontally or vertically.
I love making word lists with WordSpring after creating my own lists by hand for years. Using WordSpring is better than eating chocolate!
Shira Naftel, Resource Coordinator,Yeshiva Bais Mikroh, Monsey, NY
WordSpring 3.0, the latest version of WordSpring, was released in 2016. Users of previous versions should upgrade to WordSpring 3.0 and benefit from its additional capabilites. WordSpring 3.0 is a major upgrade of WordSpring 2.5. It has:
more dictionary words and a large selection of nonsense words,
more word lists, especially for Latin roots, Greek combining forms, prefixes, and suffixes and endings
better word lists,
improved teaching tips,
enhanced explanations of the word list categories
customizable printed lists, and
an online user manual.
Many words have been added especially to the shorter lists and errors in the word lists have been corrected. There are now 18,000 dictionary words and 6000 nonsense words. You'll like being able to change the format of printed lists and be able to print lists horizontally as well as vertically. You'll find the new teaching tips and explanations helpful for improving instruction. WordSpring 3.0 really is the best word resource available anywhere!
Macintosh: OS X 10.6 and later operating systems.
Windows: Windows 8 and later operating systems.
Note: WordSpring 3.0 will work on Windows 7, but diacritcal marks used in pronunciations do not print correctly. If you do not plan to print pronunciations, you can use WordSpring 3.0 with Windows 7.